- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh is better; frozen will cause the bread to have a purple swirl)
Glaze Ingredients (optional, but highly recommended)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ tablespoons heavy cream (or milk)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and Grease loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat egg, milk, and oil in a mixer.
- Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture until just moist.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Only fill ~2/3 full to compensate for the bread rising during baking.
- Sprinkle some extra sugar on top just before baking. This is optional if not topping with the recommended glaze.
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool on wire rack 10-15 minutes before removing from loaf pan.
- While cooling, mix all glaze ingredients and after the prepared bread has completely cooled, pour the glaze generously over the top.
Serves ~ 10
A perfect addition to your Memorial Day brunch!
Or add a scope of ice cream and call it dessert!!