For the Cookie Crust:
- 24 Oreos (2 cups crumbled)
- 4 tbsp. Butter, melted
For the Cheesecake Filling:
- 24 oz. (3 – 8 oz. packages) Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- cup Buttermilk (¼ cup milk + ¾ tsp. vinegar)
- 4 Eggs, large
- 2 tsp. White Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 oz. Red Food Coloring
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, cold
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
To make the Cookie Crust:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- Combine all the Cookie Crust ingredients in a small bowl.
- Press the mixture into the prepared springform pan and up the sides.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes
- Set aside to cool.
- Wrap the bottom rim and up the sides of the springform pan with aluminum foil (and/or an oven bag) to prevent water from being able to enter the pan.
- Set the prepared pan aside.
To make the Cheesecake Filling:
- Reduce oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, beat the Cream Cheese, Sugar, and Cocoa Powder on low speed until well blended and smooth.
- Add the Sour Cream and Buttermilk to the mixture and mix on low speed until well blended.
- Add the Eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each Egg. Blend until well blended after all have been added.
- Add the Vinegar, Vanilla Extract, and Food Coloring until well blended.
- Pour the prepared cheesecake batter into the prepared crust
- Place the springform pan inside another larger pan. Fill the larger pan with enough warm water to go about halfway up the sides of the springform pan, but not higher than the aluminum foil wrap or oven bag. This is the water bath.
- Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes. The center will be set, but still jiggly.
- Turn off the oven and leave the door closed. Leave the cheesecake in the closed oven for 30 minutes to allow it to continue to cook while slowly cooling.
- Crack open the oven door for 30 minutes to allow it to continue slowly cooling. This helps prevent the cheesecake from cracking.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and water bath. Remove the aluminum foil or oven bag and refrigerate until firm (5-6 hours) or overnight.
- Once the cheesecake is cooled and firm, remove from the springform pan and place onto a serving plate.
To make the Whipped Cream Topping:
- In a large bowl, beat the Cream Cheese until smooth.
- Place the remaining ingredients in another large bowl and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped mixture into the Cream Cheese slowly until well blended.
- Spread onto the cooled cheesecake in an even layer.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.